Baked Greek Chicken Paleo Recipes – Baked with Greek herbs, olives, and a creamy eggplant topping, this chicken is equal parts delicious comfort food and easy one-pot dinner. And if you can’t get enough, it’s also good as leftovers the next day, on top of some more salad greens, or maybe with a big bowl of soup.
The recipe calls for some baba ghanoush, a creamy eggplant dip that tastes similar to hummus, but isn’t made with legumes. If you’re very lucky, you’ll be able to find a Paleo-friendly version of this in a store, but for most people, the homemade route is the only way to avoid a whole bunch of junk oils and added preservatives. There’s a recipe for this right here; it’s not very difficult, but it does take some time, so if you’re in a hurry, you can skip it altogether.
Even if you do end up leaving out the baba ghanoush, though, the chicken is still loaded with flavor thanks to a simple but powerful Greek seasoning. You’ll even have leftover seasoning to use on your next batch of chicken or baked fish. Also, because it’s all herbs, it’s actually autoimmune-friendly as well as delicious. To modify the recipe for an autoimmune diet, just leave out the baba ghanouj, paprika, and cherry tomatoes: the dish will be a little different, but you’ll still get most of the flavor and all the convenience. Enjoy!
Baked Greek Chicken Recipe
SERVES: 4 PREP: 15 min. COOK: 30 min.
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into large chunks;
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon;
- 1 tbsp. olive oil;
- 1 red onion, cut into slices;
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives;
- 2 tsp. Greek seasoning (instructions below);
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled;
- ½ cup baba ghanoush (optional);
- 1 tsp. paprika;
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes;
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar;
- Baby spinach;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
Ingredients for the Greek seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano;
- 1 tsp. dried thyme;
- ½ tsp. dried basil;
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram;
- ½ tsp. dried minced onion;
- ¼ tsp. dried minced garlic;
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Greek seasoning in a small bowl.
- Coat the chicken on both sides with the Greek seasoning plus salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon zest, olive oil, red onion, olives, and garlic, and toss to coat.
- Place the onion mixture in the bottom of a baking dish, and top with the chicken pieces.
- Spread the baba ghanoush over top of the chicken, drizzle with lemon juice, and top with a dash of paprika.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes; then add the tomatoes and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of baby spinach.
P.S. Take a look at our Paleo Recipe Book. It’s a Cookbook we’ve created to help you prepare the best Paleo food. It contains 370+ recipes and covers everything you’ll need.
source : http://paleoleap.com/baked-greek-chicken